Monday, April 16, 2012

Thrifty Storage Solution

One thing this house lacks is storage.  It makes it very hard to pursue my love of tablescapes since I have no storage for the things that make a full table.  Over the years I have passed up bargains and purged my collection many times due to lack of space.  Once we remodel the kitchen and dining rooms this will change.  In the mean time I have to get creative with the space I have.

A few months back I found a mid-century dresser at a thrift store for just $45.  It was all wood, solid and very heavy.  It was also ugly.  I forgot to get pics before I started stripping it down, but it was that blonde wood often seen in the 50's furniture.

One of the best things about this dresser is the nine large drawers.  They are nice and deep with quality construction that I know will hold up for years.

 I actually painted this no less than 3 times before I got it painted a color that seemed to match the piece.  Sometimes my vision just doesn't match the style.  I finally settled on a soft grey with some light distressing.  The original handles were painted a glossy black.

 All my napkins fit beautifully in one of the large drawers.

Two drawers hold placemats and I love that they fit nicely without needing to be folded or rolled.

 Most of my tablecloths are on an open shelf in my 'pantry' area, but I was happy to be able to tuck the lace cloths and fancy runners away:)

I was even able to move some of the candles and holders out of my dining room hutch, making it easier to find things.

 I had to completely rearrange my living room for this, but am so happy to have all that storage.  Two of the drawers are still empty but I'm sure that's just a temporary condition;)

(please excuse the dirty fish tank, I need to clean that soon)

Thanks for stopping by!
Jenni

Linking up with the following:
Bees Rental Designs for Frugal Treasures Tuesday
Apron Thrift Girl for Thrift Share Monday
Thrifty Thursday at Tales from Bloggeritaville
Caps Creations for some Thrifty Love
The Penny Worthy Project at Hey What's for Dinner Mom?

10 comments:

  1. well done! that really is a wonderful piece of furniture and so much storage. i always admire people who can see past the ugly and dream of a thing's potential. not my gift, sadly. i also just read your 'about' page... i LOVE your antler story. very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like some great storage, good for you! Thanks for joining us at Cap Creations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenni, what a great find. It would be very expensive to go out and find a new piece made of real wood and with that much storage. I love your color choice also, neutral but with some style. I know what you mean about vision not always matching the style of the furniture. Some times we just have to go for it and make it work. -_^ Thanks so much for sharing at Frugal Treasures Tuesday. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a lovely dresser! the transformation with the paint instantly updates its look :) score!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great find! I keep searching for a vintage dresser and have had no luck. :( Vintage pieces are so much better for storage, plus you can paint it any color you want!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you're happy with your transformation :)
    Looking forward to seeing what you do next!
    I'm your newest follower stop by for a blog visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenni, Great transformation! What a nice solid dresser and the perfect piece for storage. I have experience the "color doesn't match my vision" thing also. I really like the gray you ended up with. :-) I found you through Beez Frugal Treasures Tuesday party. I'm now following and look forward to seeing more of your creative projects!
    Sharla

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great! Isn't it nice to have something that holds so much? Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi Jenni! i nominated you for the versatile blogger award :) do check out my post when you have time :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a colleague who was doing a little research on this.
    And he actually ordered me dinner simply because I found it
    for him... lol. So allow me to reword this.... Thanks for
    the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending time to discuss this matter here on your site.


    Also visit my website: acoustic guitar a chord

    ReplyDelete

I apologize if you get a word verification. I keep turning it off, but it comes back!